I’m pretty sure if you’ve landed on my blog post, you have searched and searched as to how some of Instagram’s top influencers made it as far as they have. Well, don’t worry because I’m going to offer you my 10 easy steps on becoming a top Instagram influencer, and help you build your brand.
Your Instagram Profile Set Up
The first thing you are going to want to do if you haven’t already is set up your Instagram profile. This is so important because obviously Instagram is all about visuals and aesthetic. Apart of setting up your profile is understanding what your “niche” is. A “niche” is a marketing term, but that’s essentially what you’re doing. You are marketing yourself and your personal brand. There are different “niches” within a large market, and you want to dial down on what specific part of the market you want to be in. Here are some of the top niches on Instagram as of August 2020:
- Health and Fitness
Finding the right “Niche” for you
To find the right “niche” you are going to want to dig deep on this one. Ask yourself some serious questions, and put together a list of all your interests and possible topics you could have on your Instagram.
Some questions you should ask yourself to help decide include:
- What do you enjoy doing with your free time? What do you look forward to doing every day? Every week? Every month?
- What topics do you enjoy learning about the most? What understand do you have on that topic?
- What problems can you solve from what you enjoy doing?
- Can people benefit from those solutions?
- What does your competition look like? What does influencers in that “niche” already offer?
These are some questions you can ask yourself, and even write down to help narrow down which one of the categories above you believe you belong to, which will help identify you as an influencer within that specific niche. Having an area, you are focused on will deter followers from becoming confused as to what you and your brand stand for.
If you already have an Instagram, switching your account to a business account will allow you to access insights into the growth of your Instagram. It will also allow for brands to see information about your followers and the engagement you have with them.
Your business will allow you to:
- Show your contact information in your bio so brands can contact you with 1-click
- More access to different features the app offers than with a personal account
Your username is SO important as to how you as an influencer represent yourself. Your username may change over time, but choosing the right username could be what makes or breaks your ability to grow your Instagram.
Some username tips include:
- Try not to use too many numbers in your username, most people can only remember 1 or 2
- Don’t make your username so long that no one can find you in the search
- Symbols are hard to remember, so try to avoid using these
- Try simple and easy, but also unique to you and your brand, that is what people will remember you for
Choosing the Right Profile Picture
You want your profile picture to match your niche, you want to do this because having a cohesive look and style for your Instagram will show brands that you aren’t an amateur. You want a photo that best represents you and the niche your in.
If your Instagram is about travel:
- Use of a photo of you with a larger than life background
- Use your travel photos with bright and clear backgrounds to draw users and brands to your Instagram
If your Instagram is about make-up:
- Use a photo of yourself that users can see your make-up
- Use of a photo of client’s make-up close up
- Get creative, and use what is visually appealing
If your Instagram is about health and fitness:
- Use a photo of yourself in the kitchen
- Use a photo of yourself in the gym
- Use a photo of yourself coaching someone
You see what I mean here in these examples? The possibilities are endless.
Your Instagram Bio Is the Most Important Part of Your Account
Your Instagram bio right after your profile photo is one of the first things your followers and brands will see when they click on your profile. You want to make sure that you clearly identify who you are, your niche, and what your account is all about.
Some tips for writing the most fool-proof Instagram bio are:
- Don’t be super wordy, choose keywords to describe yourself and put those together in one sentence to tell people exactly who you are and what you do
- Use a call-to-action, which is an action link that may lead to your website, your shop, or how to contact you to become a brand affiliate
- Don’t try to make your bio appeal to everyone, remember you chose a specific niche, which is going to attract a specific audience, so stick to that!
Have an Instagram Content Strategy
What does having a content strategy even freaking mean? It means creating a theme for your Instagram that will help bring all your elements together. The best way to do this is first by creating a mood board with different photos you love, poses, color pallets, and anything that may inspire you. From here you should have a better understanding of what you want your theme to be.
Here are some ways you can create a theme for yourself from the start:
- Take your photos in the same or similar lighting
- Always keep in mind what’s already on your feed when you take more photos, you want it to be cohesive
- Try to always edit your photos the same way or using the same filters to create an effortless look
- Plan your feed well in advance, use a planner, or digital planner to keep track of your content creation
- Quality OVER Quantity, this is always the way I PROMISE YOU!
- Have set times and days you post, keep your followers engaged by being consistent with those times so they want to come back
- Use all of Instagram’s features such as stories and IGTV to bring it all together.
Grow Your Instagram Account with Hashtags
Using the right hashtags is like using the correct SEO for your website. So what does that even mean? It means you need to use strategic hashtags for your posts rather than random ones you come up with. Find hashtags that are related to your niche and only use those specific ones. You are trying to target an audience in your niche, and these are going to be the hashtags they use or are most searched amongst them. Hashtags are a powerful tool of Instagram that give you the insurmountable ability to reach thousands of users and brands to find you.
Follow Other Influencers in Your Niche
Find tops influencers and even those growing within your niche and follow them. Don’t follow people who give you bad vibes even if they are in your niche. Follow people that you would stand by to collaborate or even work with and agree with their brand. Also, don’t follow and unfollow after they’ve followed you back, you are NOT in middle school and this growth strategy does NOT work.
Engage with The People Who Follow You
Okay, so I used to be super guilty of this, and I would rarely ever engage or forget for like a week and most people after that tend to forget they ever even wrote to you, so DON’T make my same mistakes. Social media has the word S O C I A L in it for a reason. So be sociable and regularly engage with people who comment on your photos, story, or IGTV. Also, engage with people in your niche, like and comment on their photos, even engage with them on other platforms that way you really stand out to big brands looking for affiliates to work with. You can find people to engage with in your niche by the hashtags you use or in the comment sections of bigger accounts. Make sure to really leave genuine comments that is more than 5 words to show you are ENGAGED. Leaving one worded comments like “WOW” “OMG” or “Amazing” makes you look like your spam and you are lazy. Using just emoji’s can also look spammy and it’s better to have a real humanistic approach to your comments and engagements. Try to be as meaningful as possible, people do notice this!
Call to Action:
That wraps up my top 10 fool-proof ways to help you grow your following on Instagram and stand out as a brand influencer. Follow these steps to re-focus your Instagram account and out-grow competitors in your niche. Please leave your Instagram Handle below if you want help creating content, need ideas for branding, or share your profile for my followers to find and follow your content (INCLUDING ME, I always love to see people grow!).